- Human Resources
- Who's Who
- Payroll Calendars
- COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
- Web-Based Training
- HR Highlights
- HR News and Media
- Return to Workplace
- Employee Development and Orientation
- SU Statement of Non-Discrimination
- SU Policies and Procedures
- Performance Management
- Office of Group Benefits
- Teachers Retirement System of Louisiana
- LASERS Retirement Program
- LASERS Retirement Program Drop Summary
- Tuition Waiver & Payroll Deduction
- Student Employment
- Downloadable Forms
- Contact Human Resources
The University Writing and Communication Center at Southern University and A&M College in Baton Rouge, Louisiana (SUBR) is accepting applications for
Communication Consultants (more commonly known as "writing tutors.").
A Communication Consultant will tutor students in communication-centered work (includes written, spoken, visual, technological, and a blend of these modalities). S/he will be responsible for scheduling at least five hours a week of tutoring, with a maximum of twenty hours. Consultations are thirty minutes long. S/he must be willing and able to use a laptop or computer to hold virtual consultations with students via Microsoft Teams. In-person meetings will also be available to students. The Communication Consultant must adhere to the UWCC's guidelines and protocol for meeting with students.
- Scheduling at least five hours of available time for students to schedule
- Demonstrate knowledge in at least one of the communication modalities (See above)
- Holding both virtual and in-person consultations
- Adhering to the UWCC's guidelines and protocols for meeting with students
- Reading student work and preparing ahead of time
- Offering guidance that is student-centered and encouraging
- Attending (virtually and eventually, in person) meetings with director and other communication consultants
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Journalism, Media Studies, Communications, or related field
- Teaching experience required: three years minimum
- Tutoring experience is preferred.
- Technological proficiency, especially Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Word
- Must possess good organizational and planning skills.
- Must possess sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-econonic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and disabilities.
- Must demonstrate eagerness to motivate students in a student-centered environment.
- Must be self-disciplined and able to effectively facilitate learning
$20/hour (This is a part-time position.)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
How to Apply:
To apply please click the link below and follow the instructions:
To apply please submit a CV, transcript(s), and three references.Send via email to .
Point of Contact:
Christine Jeansonne, Director of UWCC
Note: Please type "UWCC Communication Consultant Application" in the subject line)