Frequently Asked Questions — Students

Does the  Southern University System (System) require all students to be vaccinated?

The Southern University System is requiring the participation of all students (in-person and online) in its COVID-19 vaccination protocols in line with LSA R.S. 17:170. The System includes Southern University and A&M College (SUBR), Southern University Law Center (SULC), Southern University and Agricultural Research and Extension Center (SU Ag), Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO), and Southern University Shreveport (SUSLA). 

Participation includes:

  • Providing proof of COVID-19 vaccination
  • Filing a medical or religious exemption
  • Submitting a letter of dissent to vaccination


What COVID-19 vaccines are accepted? 

Any COVID-19 vaccine authorized for use in the U.S. will be accepted.

This includes:

  • Moderna
  • Pfizer
  • Johnson & Johnson

How can students provide proof of vaccination?

Students can upload proof of vaccination at

IMPORTANT: You must use your SUS email credentials to upload proof of vaccination (

If you need technical assistance accessing and/or using your SUS email credentials, contact your campus I.T. department.

Once I am logged into the portal and get to the screen to upload my documents, I see an option to pay $10. Do I have to pay this?

No. Uploading documents to your SU/Med+Proctor account is free. Click/tap the gray box below the list of optional services that states, “No, thank you. I do not want access to my documents later.” However, you do have the option to pay for those extra services.

What qualifies as a COVID-19 vaccination official document?

The document may include the following:

  1. CDC Vaccination Card,
  2. World Health Organization Yellow Book, or
  3. official documentation from a medical provider. 

The document must include the name of the vaccine you received and the dates you were vaccinated.

What if I cannot locate my COVID-19 vaccination record?

A student who does not have their COVID-19 vaccination record/card may consider one of the following:

  1. Download LA Wallet (Louisiana residents only);
  2. Contact your vaccination provider to get another copy; or
  3. Utilize your state department of health immunization information system.

I am an international student returning home between semesters. Is there anything I should be aware of?

If an international student received a different vaccine from the three granted emergency use authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, an international student may have to be revaccinated when you re-enter the United States.  Submission of proof of a WHO-approved vaccine will allow entry but may later require revaccination with an FDA-approved vaccine.

Can a student apply for an exemption to the COVID-19 vaccination requirement?

System students may request an exemption from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement for one of the following reasons:

  1. Medical
  2. Religious
  3. Submit a letter of dissent


What is a letter of dissent?

Students may under Louisiana law “opt out” of the vaccine requirement by submitting a written statement expressing their choice to not receive the vaccine. This option is listed as “Letter of Dissent” in the exemption options provided in your Med+Proctor account.

How do I submit an exemption request or letter of dissent?

Students can upload an exemption request or letter of dissent at

IMPORTANT: You must use your SUS email credentials to upload proof of vaccination (

If you need technical assistance accessing and/or using your SUS email credentials ONLY, contact your campus I.T. department.

How will I know if my exemption request has been approved?

Med+Proctor will notify students once the exemption request is verified/approved. Med+Proctor will update the student’s account to reflect the exemption request has been approved.

If I am approved for an exemption, what is next?

Students with an approved exemption/dissent will be required to have a COVID-19 PCR test performed and to submit a negative COVID-19 (PCR) test result. Rapid test results will not be accepted.

Test results must be uploaded at

How often will I have to submit my negative test results?

All students approved for an exemption or who have submitted a letter of dissent must upload negative COVID-19 (PCR) test results monthly. Please note that each campus may respectively change this frequency. Rapid COVID-19 test results will not be accepted.

Test results must be uploaded at

Why was my medical exemption request denied?

A student’s medical exemption request may be denied for the following reasons:

  1. Submitting incomplete forms;
  2. Submitting incomplete documentation from a medical provider; or
  3. Submitting CDC or the manufacturer's vaccine contraindication that cannot be certified.

What if I am pregnant and do not want the vaccine at this time?

If you have chosen not to receive the vaccine, please have your obstetrician complete the medical exemption form to verify you are pregnant.

What if I recently had a positive COVID-19 test?

Anyone who is less than 90 days from a positive COVID-19 test or less than 90 days from receiving a monoclonal antibody or high titer COVID-19 convalescent plasma treatment may receive a temporary medical exemption. A medical provider must complete the medical exemption form verifying the dates of the recent test or treatment. Once the 90-day period has expired, comply with the participation requirement to upload proof of COVID-19 vaccination or to file an exemption request.  

Can I submit proof of partial vaccination?

Proof of partial vaccination can be submitted. HOWEVER, proof of the full dose of vaccine (first and second shots, accordingly) must be submitted to be in compliance with the protocols.


A full dose of vaccination is defined as:

  • Two shots of Moderna
  • Two shots of Pfizer
  • One shot of Johnson & Johnson

Are COVID-19 vaccine booster shots required?

The System is not requiring COVID-19 boosters at this time.

What happens if I do not provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, file an exemption request or submit a letter of dissent by the deadlines?

If a student does not comply by uploading proof of full vaccination doses, filing and being approved for an exemption, or submitting a letter of dissent, the student will be subject to the following:

  1. The student’s Spring 2022 classes will be dropped and the student may be disenrolled from their System campus.
  2. The registrar’s office at the student’s System campus will place a hold on the student’s account, which will prevent the student from accessing transcripts and viewing earned grades.


What if I am exposed to someone with COVID-19 and/or I have COVID-19? 

The Southern University System COVID-19 Reporting Protocols are still effective. Please note that these protocols are relevant for both students and employees. See your campus’ COVID-19 websites for reporting forms.

Will Southern University continue to require masks on its campuses?

At this time, masks are not mandatory but are strongly recommended.

Where can I get my COVID-19 vaccine?

Southern University Baton Rouge Landmass (SUBR, SULC and SU Ag)

Southern University Student Health Center 
Call 225-771-4770 to schedule an appointment. Same-day appointments are available.



Southern University at New Orleans

University Center
Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
No appointment necessary.


Southern University Shreveport
3050 MLK Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
Student Parking Lot, Drive-Thru Vaccination Tent
Mondays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
No appointment necessary.


For off-campus locations, go to


This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.